Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Book Review-The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner is a haunting tale about the relationship between two boys and a stark portrait of past and present day Afghanistan. Two boys, Hassan and Amir are raised together, both motherless by different circumstances. They are as close as brothers, but a world of differences separates them. Amir and his father, Sunni Muslims, are wealthy and privileged with an honorable bloodline while Hassan and his father are Shi'a Muslims and are poor illiterate servants that live in a mud hut behind Amir's grand house.

Despite their differences the boys are raised as nearly brothers. Then, the year Amir is twelve during the annual kite flying competition he witnesses an unspeakable act of violence against Hassan. It changes everything. As Afghanistan comes under the attack of Russia Amir's life is changed forever. The story chronicles the life and hardship of Amir and his father as they flee to America, and try to find a life in a new world while still clinging to their love and loyalty of their old, broken one.

As an adult, fate draws Amir back to Afghanistan one last time. In the home of his heart, he finally has an opportunity to redeem the single act that has haunted him for his entire life.

Never have I read such a tormenting and heart wrenching story of love, loss and redemption. It is with sorrow and hope that you turn the last page of this book. It took a while for me to move on to my next read with the echo of this one still in my thoughts. I also loved how much symbolism and thematic elements were throughout the book; each time you came across one with understanding, it was a little gem. I also thought the relationships portrayed in the story were rich and all the characters had flaws that we can find in ourselves. It made a fine point: no one you love is perfect, but love isn't about perfection. Definitely a five star book! For more on the book and the author check out this site.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

This is the second review I've seen of this book. I'll have to add it to my list.

Thanks for coming by my site and leaving a comment. I'm sure you'll like Memory Keeper's Daughter when you're ready to move on to your next book.

Queen of My Domain said...

I really loved this book and like you it stayed in my mind for days after reading it.

alisonwonderland said...

i loved this book too! i love the themes of guilt and redemption; it explored them beautifully.

p.s. would you mind if i put a link to you on my book blog? it appears to me that we have similar tastes in books, and i'd love to keep track of what you're reading.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book as well. It moved me to tears, the only other book that has done that in recent years is To Kill a Mockingbird. This book goes straight to my list of 5 favorite books of all time.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I read this book some time ago and loved it as well. Your review is beautiful. Do you review books often, or just for Katrina's reading challenges? I'll be coming back to look. :)