Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spring Reading Thing

Okay, so I haven't posted in forever. But since only about 3 people read my blog, that's okay. :)
I just had to participate in Katrina's Spring Reading Thing since reading is about the only thing I can commit to. Most nights my hubby watches the History Channel while I curl up on the couch beside him and read whatever book I am currently enthralled by.

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield which was GREAT, and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd which is a treasure. I am currently reading Jodi Piccoult's Picture Perfect, but I won't count that. ;) Jodi is my new favorite author-if only she could shell them out as fast as I can read them!

Most of the books I am listing come from my "Books to Investigate" list in my book journal. Which is a great idea, I am having fun writing my thoughts after each book I read. (I added some info to some of the books.) So, here goes in no particular order:













The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian Quote from none other than my favorite writer, Jodi Piccoult: "The story centers on Laurel Estabrook, a young social worker and survivor of a near-rape, who stumbles across photographs taken by a formerly homeless client and tries to understand how a man who'd taken snapshots of celebrities in the 50s and 60s might have wound up on the streets. However, an author's note tells us that Bohjalian conceived this book after being shown a batch of old photographs taken by a once-homeless man; and the actual photos of Bob "Soupy" Campbell are peppered throughout the text. In another neat twist, Bohjalian's resurrects details from The Great Gatsby, which become "real" in the context of his own novel--Laurel lives in West Egg; part of her hunt for her photographer's past involves meeting with the descendants of Daisy and Tom Buchanan." Okay-intertwining the Great Gatsby which I include in the list of best books ever written? Had to check it out.









The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards-
This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love.
**Also, a little side note; Sue Monk Kidd said this was "Absolutely Mesmerizing." Love it!














The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon This book is written from the perspective of a 15 year old autistic boy. That is enough to make it an intriguing read in my opinion.





A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah In A LONG WAY GONE, Beah, now twenty-six years old, tells a riveting story. At the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he’d been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts. Eventually released by the army and sent to a UNICEF rehabilitation center, he struggled to regain his humanity and to reenter the world of civilians, who viewed him with fear and suspicion. This is, at last, a story of redemption and hope.



Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party) by Rod Dreher Referred by a friend and it looks interesting: At a time when the Republican Party seems to be fracturing from within, commentator Rod Dreher says it's time for the GOP to return to its roots. And he thinks conservatives could find inspiration from fellow Republicans who embrace a counter-cultural yet traditional conservative lifestyle -- what Dreher dubs "Crunchy Cons."
And may I add, if you have this book from the Grapevine Library, PLEASE RETURN IT. I'm patiently waiting.

12 comments:

ellen b. said...

Very interesting list. I like the descriptions. Have fun reading and I hope the books returned!
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

~liz said...

hello! tahnks for your comment at my blog!

i just finished "The Memory Keepers Daughter" and really enjoyed it... and someone just recommended "Marley and Me" to me...AND i just received a copy of "The Time Traveler's Wife" so I'm adding those two books to my summer reading list!!

I've also been eager to read the "crunchy con" book...you just reminded me of it again! :)
~liz
www.smithical.com

Anonymous said...

This is a great list! I may have to steal one or two of your books off the list!

Barbara H. said...

I keep seeing Jodi Piccoult's name on so many lists -- I need to check her out.

Looks like a great list! Happy Reading!

Thanks for stopping by my place. :)

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Susannah said...

Pleased to meet you! Crunchy Cons looks really intriguing. My husband would love it. I love your "Books To Investigate" idea too. I guess I do something similar when I add an interesting book to my amazon.com Wishlist. Blessings, e-Mom

Jennifer said...

I am also a huge Jodi Picoult fan. Let me know what you think of her newest!! Happy Reading.

Beckyb said...

What a fun list - I'm going to add some of those to my to-be-read-list. What a great blog - I'll be back!!!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I loved The Thirteenth Tale, too -- great book. I also recently read and enjoyed both Marley & Me and The Time Traveler's Wife. Thanks for being part of the Spring Reading Thing. Enjoy your books -- they look great!

Christi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I see you're reading a Jodi Picoult too.

Have you read The Secret Life of Bees yet? I read it last year and enjoyed it.

Christi said...

Oops! Just saw that you finished it!

Your list sounds really interesting - I'm adding some from it to my ever-increasing list!

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I did read Frank McCourt's other two books, I think I read Tis first and then Angela's Ashes though.

I will try to remember to write a review for Teacher Man once I read it.

everyday graces said...

Hi! My mom is currently reading the Thirteenth Tale and she told me a little bit about it and now that you said it is "GREAT", I'm going to have to add it to my list for summer. I've heard of Jodi Piccoult and w/all the great reviews I may have to pick up one of her books too. I see all these books at Barnes and Noble, but I normally move quickly past and straight for the Parenting section :-) I'll be curious to read your reviews.

Amber

p.s. thanks for visiting my blog

http://www.amberandstephen.com/amber/